FAQ - frequently asked questions

1. I am on an ACN scholarship. When am I to expect the first payment?

You will have monthly payments transferred to your bank account. Unfortunately the exact date cannot be terminated, as transactions need to be revised by several authorities. The first payment usually arrives by the end of the last month before the start of your scholarship. If, for instance, you  start your exchange on April 1st, the first rate will be transferred by the end of March. In order for this process to run smoothly, you need to carefully fill in the bank data form sheet and hand in the booking confirmation of your flight at least 4 weeks prior to your departure. 

2. May I change bank accounts if I opened a new account during my stay?

A change of bank accounts is generally possible, yet sometimes difficult. Especially transactions to North America have caused trouble in the past. The cause of this is the missing IBAN. The best way is to get a document from your bank containing your account data, so we can perform a wire transfer.  

3. Which organizational tasks do I need to take on myself?

At first, you need to contact the host supervisor you chose and make sure an exchange will be possible in terms of your scientific work. Once you have done that, you may apply (find guidelines here…). In case your application is successful and your scholarship is confirmed you will receive a 'First Circular' containing crucial information. The exchange is basically organized by the scholars themselves including visa, accommodation and flights as well as insurance and research stay. Yet, if any questions or difficulties occur feel free to contact us at any time and we will try to assist you. 

4. May I interrupt my stay (e.g. to go on holiday, visit my family or national holidays) and continue it later on?

An interruption of more than 14 days must be formally requested. Your request will be reviewed by the EU in Brussels. 

5. Do I need to pay for the flights myself?

You will receive a lump sum for traveling expenses. The amount depends on the distance between home and host institution.

Distance (km)    Fixed-Amount rate (EUR)
2.500 – 5.000 1.500
5.000 – 10.000 2.000

The lump sum for traveling expenses will be applied for flight tickets for the direct/linear distance ("as the crow flies", for information refer to:

6. Do I need to pay taxes during my stay?

If you are on a scholarship, you do not need to pay taxes or any other charges, as you are not employed. On the downside, scholars need to pay for their own health insurances. 

7. Whom am I supposed to contact If I have any questions?

If you have any questions concerning your scholarship, please contact Ulrike Pratesi: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.  

8. May I terminate my stay prematurely?

If an exchange is terminated before the end of five months and 17 days, the scholarship must be refunded.

If an exchange is terminated once the minimum duration of five months and 17 days is completed, an informal request can be filed in order to terminate the stay (to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. ). Subsequently funding will be ceased. 

9. Can the EU cease payment if I don't reach my research goals?

EU will not cease payment, in case you don't fulfill your research goals. However, students are obliged to communicate any change of plans ( This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. ). Funding may be ceased in case this rule or any other guideline declared in the First Circular is not observed. 

10. May I extend my stay  for any reason?

Exchanges last between six and ten months. In case you applied for a six month stay and later realize that you would like to extend your stay by another 2 months, this can usually be realized by filing an informal request (via email to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. ). An exchange longer than ten months in only available for PhD-scholars, not for postdocs. This also requires an informal request, that needs to be reviewed by the EU in Brussels.